We recommend following the steps below when replacing a lamp:
- Disconnect power to the ballast. Removing/installing a lamp into a powered ballast can cause ballast and/or lamp failure, and is a safety hazard. Always remove power from the ballast before performing any maintenance.
- Remove and replace the suspected bad lamp with a known working lamp.
- If the lamp is cool, it should start immediately. If it does not ignite, allow 2 minutes for the ballast to attempt to restrike the lamp.
- If the lamp does not ignite, power down the ballast and attempt another known working lamp. This reduces the possibility of a component-level incompatibility due to manufacturing tolerances of the lamp and/or ballast.
- If both lamps fail to ignite, the assumption is that the ballast has failed and requires replacement.
- Never remove a lamp when a ballast is receiving power.
- Never have a powered ballast without a lamp inserted in the socket.