What is the difference between Photoperiod lighting and supplemental lighting?

Photoperiodic lighting requires only low-intensity light (typically10 foot-candles or 1-2 μmol∙m-2∙s-1) and is used only after sunset or before sunrise to create an artificial long day.

Supplemental lighting delivers a high intensity of light (typically 400 to 1500 foot-candles) and is typically used from October through March on cloudy days and during the night to increase photosynthesis by increasing the daily light integral (DLI).

Can the Beamflicker™ be used for supplemental lighting?

No. The Beamflicker™ is used only for photoperiod lighting. The light intensity output and cyclical spread will not supply enough supplemental light for a crop.

What area does a Beamflicker™ cover?

The area of coverage depends on the hang height, the distance above the crop and the wattage. A 600W Beamflicker™ approximately 6-8 ft above the crop will cover a 28’ x 80’ area.

Can I use a metal halide lamp with the Beamflicker™?

Most metal halide lamps will not fit in the Beamflicker™. It is recommended to use an HPS lamp instead of a metal halide lamp since photoperiod responses are mainly responsive to red or far red light.